Those are the bones of the last 16 year-old girl that came here and on-sighted .12d.
- Chris Righter when the visiting Katie Brown asked what was in a nearby trash bag at a campsite at Mount Clark, Nevada. Katie had just on sighted Inflation (5.12d), which Righter hadn't yet redpointed.
Welcome to the employee rock-climbing seminar. You'll learn valuable teamwork skills by doing dangerous things unrelated to your jobs.
- Dilbert" (Aug 3 97)
Although one is not inclined to be timid or nervous, it is nevertheless a trifle depressing to receive letters full of expostulation and entreaty: 'If you are determined to commit suicide, why not come home and do so in a quiet lady-like manner?"
- Annie Smith Peck (July 1896)
Rocks make no compromise for sex... rock climbing is not like some sports, where it is made easier for women; or sports like, say, softball, which is only baseball for soft people. On a rock, everything is equal.
- Beverly Johnson
Man or woman, you have to have the mental characteristics, the ability to concentrate, the focus, the flexibility, where women have the advantage, and strength-to-weight ratio. It does depend on the raw power.
- Lynn Hill
I taught my mother to climb. And she gets nervous sometimes. She'll yell, "let me down". That's a tough one. You never want to let your mother down.
- Nancy Feagin
No she's the leader of our climb.
- Colin Grissom in response to a german who asked if Kitty Calhoun was the base camp manager on the way up to Dhaulagiri.
Non Mademoiselle, pas possible!
- 19th Century Hotel Staff to Lily Barstow after being told that she just climbed the Rothhorn without guides.
They heard I had climbed a few mountains in Alaska. They said it would be a better movie if they had a girl it in.
- Barbara Washburn on including her in a promotional documentary film about climbing Denali in 1947, as a gimmick to promote the Hollywood feature film, The White Tower.
I'm three for three on 8000ers. Pretty damn good odds
- Charlotte Fox guided client on Cho Oyu, Gasherbrum, and Everest
I can't remember a single time that I was prevented from doing what I wanted because I was a female, either on the rock or in the mountains.
- Annie Whitehouse
I did the twenty-three-hour Nose route to the top of El Capitan in eighteen hours and twenty-three minutes, I can get over this.
- Avery Bishop (Kelly Preston) in Jerry Maguire responding to Jerry Maquire (Tom Cruise) after calling off their engagement
The masculine mind, however is, with rare exceptions, imbued with the idea that a woman is not a fit comrade for steep ice or precipitous rock, and, in consequence, holds it as an article of faith that her climbing should be done by Mark Twain's method, and tha tshe should be satisfied with watching through a telescope some weedy and invertebrate masher being hauled up a steep peak by a couple of burly guides, or by listening to this same masher when, on his return, he lisps out with a Sickening drawl the many perils he has encountered
- Mrs. A F. Mummery
In common with many women, I felt that thes Dolomites were made to suit me with their small but excellent toe- and finger-holds, and pitches where a delicate sense of balance was the key, rather than brute force. While it helps, of course, to have tough muscles, the prizefighter would not necessarily make a fine Dolomite climber. But the ballet dancer might.
- Mirium Underhill
On the first morning, I took them up Middlefell Buttress: five of us, all on one rope. It was slow, cold and boring. They climbed faster than I did, surrounded with an almost visible aura of masculine resentment. So I took them to Gwynne's Chimney on Pavey Ark, and as they struggled and sweated in that smooth cleft, sparks flying from their nails, and me waiting at the top with a taut rope and a turn round my wrist, I knew that I had won. The atmosphere -- when we were all together again -- was clean and relaxed.
- Gwen Moffat
She found being a woman and a climber to be easily congruent.
- Annie Whitehouse talking about the aplinist Margaret Young
It is very important for women to climb with other women.
- Zoe Bundros
I came up to help you with your pack, but it looks like you don't need any help.
- John Roskelley to Deborah Waterman at 17,800 feet on Denali.
A Woman's Place Is on Top
- T-shirt from first American woman's ascent of Annapurna
A Woman's Place Is on the Face
- T-shirt follow-up to Annapurna T in the 80s.
The essence of climbing is not limited to those out there making a name for themselves.
- Lois LaRock
Technique and ability alone do not get you to the top -- it is the willpower that is the most important. This willpower you cannot buy with money or be given by others -- it rises from your heart.
- Junko Tabei after becoming the first woman to climb Everest in 1975
I've never noticed that being a woman is a handicap or a plus. I am a woman and there are men and we climb together. Sometimes I'm stronger, sometimes they're stronger - we motivated each other.
- Robyn Erbesfield
Never noticed a female monkey not climbing as well as a male, have you?
- Don Whillans on being asked it if was possible for a woman to be a better rock climber than a man.
We knew that a failure on the first women's attempt on El Cap would be a fiasco we could never live down.
- Sibylle Hechtel after climbing the Triple Direct with Bev Johnson.
The bizarre trend in mountaineers is not the risk they take, but the large degree to which they value life. They are not crazy because they don't dare, they're crazy because they do. These people tend to enjoy life to the fullest, laugh the hardest, travel the most, and work the least.
- Lisa Morgan
I have left and retired for good unless it becomes an Olympic sport and then I'd like to make a comeback.
- Robyn Erbesfield
Remember not to have a fatal accident, because the community will think climbing is a dangerous thing, your friends will be bummed... and you'll be dead.
- Kitty Calhoun closing remarks at an American Alpine Club lecture
I am too slow to be a good climber, so I film instead.
- Wanda Rutkiewicz who has climbed many 8,000 m peaks, often without oxygen.
The fact that I'm three months pregnant doesn’t change anything
- Catherine Destiville preparing to solo the Old Man of Hoy seastack.
I was quaking in my boots.
- Lynn Hill after dropping a crucial stopper on the crux pitch during her free ascent of El Cap's Nose in a day.
People who are afraid of heights need to work at this problem step by step, day by day, climb by climb.
- Zoe Bundros
I can't understand why men make all this fuss about Everest -- it's only a mountain.
- Junko Tabei first woman to climb Mt. Everest
Reaching that windswept perch, I decided, would cleanse my spirit and heal my wounds. More than that, it would send me home with a title: The First American Woman to Climb Everest.
- Stacy Allison
Hi, this is Annie. I can't meet with you this week because I'm off to Patagonia. I decided to go just today-- I'll be in touch when I get back.
- Annie Whitehouse's answering machine.
Slug mode is when you lay in the tent with nothin' to do, maybe not even a book to read, maybe not even nothin' to eat. I can do it pretty well.
- Kitty Calhoun
My success rate is much higher when I'm soloing. It's easier to talk yourself into quitting when you have someone to talk to.
- Amanda Tarr
Some people love soloing and are great at it, and they can have it.
- Alison Osius
When the pursuit of natural harmony is a shared jouney, great heights can be attained.
- Lynn Hill
Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it.
Remember, Ginger Rogers did everything Fred Astaire did, but she did it backwards and in high heels.
- Faith Whittlesey
After all, maybe sticking to a diet is easier than climbing Big Walls.
- Jennifer Mariani Halfway up the Salathé Wall.
Climb like a girl. Pee like a guy.
- Julie Haas
Of course, the first all-female ascent of Midnight Lightning was a huge coup, as Lynn was obviously aware. In fact, to make the ascent seem all the more valid, she even had her belayer (John Bachar) dress up in women's lingerie.
- Kelly Rich